History & Timeline
Tobacco Free Initiative History
The USC system was awarded a Tobacco Free Engagement Grant. This grant is to start the engagement process moving towards a Tobacco Free Environment.
Since July 2013 the USC System schools have selected a representative on their campuses to chair the Tobacco Free Task Force. These representatives have been coming together for a monthly conference call to discuss aspects of the Tobacco Free initiative.
USC Aiken has invited individuals to be a part of the USC Aiken Tobacco Task Force and will begin to have regular meetings beginning in September 2013.
The goal of the Tobacco Free Grant is to evaluate the current policies on Tobacco at USC Aiken, review and implement a survey to determine the attitudes surrounding tobacco at USC Aiken and ultimately create a Tobacco Free Policy that is to be given to Chancellor Jordan. The grant does not stipulate that USC Aiken must adopt this policy. That decision will be made at the cabinet level.
The grant has a year time line in place which is roughly outlined below.
May 2013 – MOU signed
July 1, 2013 - Faculty/Staff Survey being sent out via USCA List Serve on Wellness Activities and interest in Physical Activity, Nutrition and Tobacco Task Force
July 5, 2013 – Progress Report Due
August 2013 – Committee recommendations sent to the Chancellor
September 2013 – First Committee Meeting Held
October 5, 2013 – Progress Report Due
Committee meetings in progress; Assessment reviewed and chosen ; Tobacco Vision and implementation time line created
January 5, 2014 – Progress Report Due
Assessment completed and analyzed; Engagement of campus partners; Town halls held
May 2014 –Policy recommendation forwarded to the Chancellor
January 2015 – August 2015
Over the next 8 months we will be educating the campus on various components of becoming a Tobacco Free Environment. Here is a general outline of what will be occurring from January 2015 – August 2015
- Announce Tobacco Free Initiative and implementation date to USC Aiken campus community
- Chancellor’s Office
- Create a social norming campaign
- Communicate the Tobacco Free Campus through as many mediums as possible at USC Aiken.
- February is Heart Month and the focus will be educating individuals on resources that encourage heart health.
- Quit Resources
- On campus Smoking Cessation class will be offered to faculty, staff and students
- This month we will continue to educate all entities about the upcoming move to a Tobacco Free Campus
April – May 2015
- April will start the training process for the Community Enforcement Plan within the Tobacco Free Policy
- This month we will focus on educating the USC Aiken Community on how the enforcement will take place for the Tobacco Free Campus
- This month we will focus on gearing up for implementation day on August 7, 2015
August 7, 2015 – Implementation Day!